Pitch and HTs

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:38:15 +0000

Hi Jim,
     I think you read me right, however this can be a very confusing
topic.  Because modern pianos are designed to be at A-440 in ET, it
would seem that the best sound would be to have the average overall
pitch be A-440.  Ofcourse, in an HT A wouldn't be at 440, so what do we
do?  If we change A, whole ensembles will have to change as they are
used to tuning to A.  This is a problem too big for me, perhaps the
guild in conjuction with musicians can resolve this.   I'm not sure what
you mean by "that with HT the relationship takes precedence over the
standard."  I think the standards of pitch should certainly exist and be
adhered to.  Ofcourse in ET, A is the only note on 440 and is more than
halfway up the scale so the average tuning pitch would likely be flat of
theoretical A-440 in ET due to inharmonicity.
    Concerning these standards, I confess to fudging them abit in
professional concerts.  I typically tune using a C 523 fork using the
A-flat a Major tenth below as the test reference for middle C.  I place
the fork by my ear to compare as they tell me that putting it on the
bridge results in a slightly flatter pitch.  This method I use gives me
the highest "A-440".   I tune this way when the piano is seasonally
going flat so I can keep this tuning and improve on it in future
concerts.  Often the concert piano is creeping flat but still sounds
like a great tuning.  In this case I pull out my A-440 fork and compare
with A and if it's still good I can save and improve that tuning.  The
flattest extreme is to put the A fork on the bridge and compare directly
with A.  A further sneakier method is to use additional octave stretch
to get A to 440.  I consider all these things when I'm tuning and try to
anticipate by the time of year whether the piano is going sharp or flat
and what method to use.
       I typically give the concert pianos new tunings about every two
to three weeks, all intermediate recitals use the same "improved"
tuning. This method does perhaps bend the standard alittle bit, however
I feel I get better and clearer tunings by doing so. I believe there is
atleast some leeway in what A-440 means, and add to this the problem of
stage lights and it becomes even cloudier.  I'm curious this is
acceptable standards or what you and others think about it.  Is A-440
and one forth ok? what about A-440 and one third?

-Mike Jorgensen RPT