The human side

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:33:13 EST

Yesterday I got a call from one of my clients who is renting a piano from me.
She is a piano teacher whose husband left her several years ago, (no support
checks), and is trying desperatly to make ends meet. She called to ask for
some very special help. If she doens't have $800 by Friday, she will be
evicted from her apartment with her 2 children. She was considering suicide as
a way out. After talking with her for about 15 minutes, I made a couple of
phone calls, and gave her the names of a couple agencies ready to help her get
through her tough times.

This morning I tuned a piano for a widow who lost her husband a year ago.
After tuning the piano I spent 30 extra minutes with her, just talking about
music, teaching, vacations, pianos, etc. She seemed to need to talk to
someone, even though she has her children living in town, and lives accross
the street from her church. Even though I was late to my next appointment, I
didn't mind. She needed someone to talk to.

I am telling you this because I want all of us to remind ourselves that our
profession allows us to be in contact with many customers who call us not just
to ge their piano tuned. The human contact is very precious, and some people
need it more than other. All of us are very busy, trying to make ends meet,
fighting traffic to get to the next appointment. But please, don't forget to
take a few extra minutes with our customers.  I might loose a few dollars, but
I find those moments with a customer who needs to talk about her late husband,
or wants someone to help her with a personal problem, or needs to feel better,
or be cheered up, to be more rewarding than getting paid extra for doing a
good job tuning the piano. This is what I refer to as the human side of being
in business.

Just  few thoughts after a couple of busy days.

Willem Blees
St. Louis