Double Soundboard

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:31:06 -0600 (CST)

>Dear List,
>
>An owner of a Ritmuller piano phoned me with the following question: In my
>piano I can read that this instrument has a double soundboard. What does
>this mean?
>
>I did not know the answer. Perhaps somebody can help me and the owner of
>that piano?

Seems like I remember seeing a photograph of a vertical piano with two
soundboards, two harps, two sets of bridges, etc.  Must have been in one of
the older Piano Technicians Journals.  They were kind of mirror image to
each other.  And if I remember correctly, the damper system in the rear was
linked to the the front damper system and the additional works acted in
sympathy only when the sustain pedal was depressed.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731