Structural integrity of S&S

Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:48:05 -0800

Robert Goodale wrote:

> pianoman wrote:
> >
> > I often tell my clients that Steinway builds the most structurally sound
> > piano case in the industry now or in the past. I also state that you
> > cannot build a more structurally sound case than Steinway does.  Anyone
> > disagree with your examples listed.
>
> I refer you to the cover photograph of the March, 1991 PTG Journal.
>
> Case closed!
>
> Rob Goodale, RPT

Rob,

That photo has more to do with the strength of the piano's legs than it does the strength
of the "acoustic" strength of the rim & bellyrail assembly. For acoustical reasons we find
that it is necessary to add bracing to these rims as well.

So, the case is still open. And while it's open, let's put in a couple of extra
rim/bellyrail braces....

Regards,

Del