pitch raising

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:53:08 EST

<<  would be interested in some discussion on pitch-raising practices of
 major proportion 50-100, or even 200 cents, aural tuners.  My teacher has
 a "formula"he uses, and swears he can do a good pitch raise of 100 cents
 on two passes, leaving the piano at 440 and stable.  Other tuners say
 they absolutely wouldn't do that, but insist to the customer that it will
 take two or three tunings, set a couple or three weeks apart. Both seem
 to be pretty confident with their methods.

 Any thoughts, and "why's" regarding your position?

 Leslie >>

My method of an aural pitch raise. ( I did one this morning).

This 15 year old Kimball LaPetit hadn't been tuned for 5 years, sitting over a
heat vent, and was about 100 cents flat a A 440. The rest of the piano was
about as bad.

1. strip mute the piano.
2. Raise A 440 to about 25 cents sharp, (about 8 beats per second)  If you use
another note besides A 440, you should also tune it about 8 beats sharps.
3. Set a temperament. ( any will do, but use one  that you are most
comfortable with. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you should come out even
on all the forths and fifth.
4. Tune by octaves to the top, adding about 2 or 3 beats to every note as you
go.
5. Tune to the bass. When tuning down from the temperament octave until you
hit the bass section, tune the lower note about 2 or 3 beats flat. When you
get to the bass, tune octaves pure.
6. Pull the strip, and strip every other note. Tune unisons starting in the
middle of the piano, and go up. The middle of the piano is not necessarily
middle C, although that is a good starting point. I look for the middle note
of the middle section. Depending on the piano, this could be anywhere from a C
- G.
7. When you are done with the top, start on the note below the one you started
on in the middle, and go down to the bass.
8. Pull the strip, and tune the other usison, starting at the same note you
did before.
9. When you get to the top, finish with the rest of the middle of the piano,
again, starting at the note next to the one you did first.

When I do this right, and I get it about 75% of the time, my A is almost right
on, and the rest of the piano sounds like an out of tune piano, but it is on
pitch. The above proceedures takes me about 10 minutes. I do not dwell on
unisons or octaves. All I want to do is increase the tension on the
soundboard, so that it doesn't fluctuate when I tune. I tune the piano right
away, and spend a littel extra time on the upper register.

I have found this method to give me a pretty stable piano. I do recommend to
the customer that I want to see the piano again in 6 months. Those that I do
see in six month I have found the piano to be in pretty good condition,
considering it got a pitch raise. Unfortunately, I don't get to see most of
them. The customer usually waits another 5 years before getting piano tuned
again.

As with any pitch raisee, before proceeding, be sure to check the condition of
the strings, pins, and bridges. Some tuners also tighten all the plate bolts,
but I have never done this. Any thoughts on that?

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis