Overcharge?

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 21:34:41 EST

<<
 NOW THE QUESTION???  Do these fees seem out of line?

 $60.00 standard tuning
 $40.00 for pitch change (any amount at all over +/- 15c,regarless of the
 number of passes)
 And then another tuning in one month.

 Thanks for the wisdom of the list.

 Dick Day
 Marshall MI

 I had a simular situation and although the lady paid me, she later called and
chewed my wife out over my prices, and her husband did not want me in the
house again.  I will not question your prices, but refer to Joe Garrett's
Repair Labor Guide. a tuning requires 2 hours, pitch raise 5-20 cents, add 1/2
hour, 25 to 50 cents, add 1 hour, more than 50 cents, add 1 1/2 hours.
Multiply times your hourly fee.  Did you charge enough or too little?

Joe's guide is nothing official, but you can get a good idea.  For me I use it
when making estimates for repair and rebuilding.  As for tuning, I know my
speed and charge accordingly.

For this lady, I could have charged more based on the labor guide, but did
not.  Like you, I will most likely never tune for her again.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR