a different piano design...

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 01:35:31 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> In this business we tend to equate attention to detail and perfection
> of workmanship with
> performance. They are not necessarily related. Quality of construction
> does not
> necessarily translate into quality of tone performance.

Hi, Del, List.

Just a random observation here, but I would put it this way. The piano
is a musical instrument, not a piece of furniture. It's function is to
be played and listened to. Therefore piano-quality in not something which
is SEEN at all, It is something which is HEARD. The purpose of regulation
and voicing are to give the pianist maximum control over the hammers, be-
cause the rubber meets the road in piano technology, that is the quality
of the instrument is both determined and defined, by what happens when the
hammers meet the strings. In the end, that is not the most important
thing that matters, it is the ONLY thing that matters.

What happens when the hammers meet the strings also defines the quality
of the technician, too. Beside every great piano stands a great tech-
nician. Like Love and Marriage, "you can't have one without the other"!

Les Smith