Soft pedal

Kgj38@aol.com Kgj38@aol.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:34:55 EST

As I was sitting in church this morning, listening to the prelude, the pianist
comes up to me and asks me to look at the piano after the service, because
there was something wrong with the soft pedal.

She is a rather vigorous player and when she would depress the soft pedal, the
hammers would fly up, striking the strings with some force, instead of just
lessening the hammer strike distance.

The piano is a Baldwin console, not sure of the age, in pretty good repair.
When I depressed the pedal, the hammers didn't fly up.  I had to push pretty
hard to get it to do that for me.  I tried tightening and then loosening the
wingnut down on the pedal assembly, with no discernible effect either way.

Any ideas?

Karen Johnson
Rochester, MN