Verdigris

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:23:23 -0800

Eugenia Carter wrote:

> As I understand it teflon doesn't change, BUT the wood surrounding it may
> change, dependent on environmental conditions. So, unless you can control
> the humidity so that the wood doesn't shrink or expand, you can/may/will
> experience tight action centers when the wood around the teflon bushing
> contracts or clicking action centers when it expands. I think this would
> apply to original teflon parts as well as converted teflon parts.

Hi Gina,
I'm not so sure this is the case. Fred gave a class some time back
wherein he espoused the value of teflon centers. He dropped a hammer and
flange into a glass of water at the beginning of the class. At the end
of the class, he pulled it out of the water and showed that it had the
same tightness as before it got doused.

I know that there are problems with teflon and I'm not an advocate of
teflon but I do wonder what was proven by that test.

Regards,
Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT