acoustic? ACOUSTIC???

Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:53:27 -0800

Richard Moody wrote:

> --------------------------
>
> Del wrote:
>
> > Nope. Rebuilt pianos are not allowed. Not yours, not mine, not
> anyone's. That misses my
> > point entirely. Every time a piano is
> rebuilt/restored/remanufactured/whatever, a new
> > piano goes unsold.
>
> What was your point?  Are you then in the Retail trade, or the
> Rebuilt trade? But it sounds like a good opprotunity for those of us
> looking at the rebuilt trade
>
> Richard C Moody (the C stands for buyers's consultant)

Richard,

No, I'm not in the retail trade. But your trade will not survive very long without the
retail trade. When the retail trade (which obviously includes the manufacturing trade)
dies, so does the support industry that keeps it all going. Who is going to making your
tuning pins? What do you think they will they cost? Who is going to keep making hammer
felt for our insignificant little after-market trade? And at what cost? The list goes on
to include just about every component of the piano that you use when you rebuild one.
Damper felt? Center pins? What about hammershanks and wippens? Piano rebuilding is only
possible/practical because of the overflow of component parts produced by those vendors
that supply the piano manufacturers. Do you really think that Renner could exist on the
business supplied by rebuilders? Even if they could, the price of these parts would go up
astronomically. Have you ever priced having a single agraffe made at your local machine
shop? We have access to these parts and components only because they are made in quantity
for the piano manufacturers.

I'm in the piano business, Richard. Period. It is in our best interests to see that all
aspects of that business survive.

Del