Inexpensive Powerbooks

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:42:35 -0600

Garret E. Traylor wrote:

>Kent;
>I have been very interested in purchasing a powerbook, but I am still
>undecided as to which model to buy. With all the current powerbooks on the
>market which two or three machines would you choose and why?

The reason I posted to pianotech now is because a very fine Powerbook is
available right now at the low point in its pricing cycle.  You see,
Powerbook models each seem to go through a fairly predictable pricing
cycle in which thy are priced fairly high when first introduced;
reductions follow;  the 2400, which is both tiny and powerful, is
(probably) at its low point in pricing right now.  I just bought one
myself.  This is my second Powerbook.  (I'm not sure, but I may have been
the first person to buy a Powerbook specifically to run RCT.)  The first
time I bought a Powerbook the 5300 grayscale was at its low point, so
that was what I bought.  There are no Powerbooks out there right now that
I would recommend against, although the 3400 and the G3 are a little big
and heavy to be carrying from piano to piano.  The 1400 would be a fine
machine, especially if you feel like you need a built-in CD-ROM player,
and the 1400 has seem some price reductions recently as well.

Kent Swafford