Harmony of the universe

NBWW@aol.com NBWW@aol.com
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:42:50 EST

List
I'm Behind on my e-mail, but catching up. The post dated 2/4/98 regarding
"Bucky" Fuller's geodesic Domes built on equal lengths is close. His math lays
out the structure in triangles with segmented sides i.e. frequencies, which
alow the structure  to take on the spherical shape. Most domes used for home
building are 3 or 4 frequency structures that contain struts-segments-forming
pentagons and hexagons.  Thge two that I built are 3 frequency 40' domes.  My
shop is a high profile and our house is a low profile.  The shop has a 40'
clear span aith a ceiling height of almost 27'. the cable that hangs from that
height makes it a dream to lift and install plates (and engine blocks etc).
The building is approximatelt 2000 square feet-which includes extensions and
storage loft at a cost that was 40% less than a "pole" building of equal
sq.ft. The heating and air conditioning average less than 50% of a stick frame
structure. Temp and humidity swings are very slow.  The building does not
require heat until the outside temp falls below freezing, and will not freeze
inside until the outside temp drops to 15 degrees. I bought dome "kits" which
came with all the engineering, hardware, instructions and as much "precut"
material as you wish. The shop started as an experiment to see if we could
build a dome and if we'd like it when done. It has worked far better than we
realized. For example, the worst heating bill to date (paid last year during
the toughest winter in recent Minnesota history) was      $150.00 (electric
heat), and we don't have the structure completely insulated! We air condition
our 3800+ sf house with a unit sized for 1500sf (and its a little too big).
The stability in the shop has greatly enhanced piano and woodworking because
of the stability. The 1500sf of clear main floor spacecontinues to give the
flexibility to arrange the shop as the need dictates. Its unconventional shape
has not caught on in the building trades or public taste, but we have seen
many that have been very well done and are very pleasing home and work
environments. Builders shy away from them because of the unconventional shape
and banks are a little nervous about lending for one, but many have been
constructed and have a good track record for financing. I know this rambling
doesn't have lot to say about pianos, but I could go on about the importance
of stability, free span flexibility of a shop FOR piano work. If any one is
considering a new shop building, consider the benefits of "Buky's" buildings.

Paul Chick rpt
Plainview Mn