Bechstein plate cracks

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:22:41 +0000

André Oorebeek writes:
In my expererience with cracked Bechstein plates, this happens only to
Bechsteins built in the first 20 years of this century.
Obviously it has to do with inferior material (the iron), because in later
days this did not occur anymore.
So, if you come across an old Bechstein with a cracked plate, and you consider
it valuable enough, you could have somebody do the welding for you and, if
done well, you might end up with a fine instrument (if you use the proper
hammers that is).