Broken Strings

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:22:41 -0600 (CST)

>...My question is: How effective are those wheel-type string-stretchers and
>is there anyone out there using them with any regularity in situations
>like this? Thanks.
>
>Les Smith

I use the string stretcher when I replace music wire.  Sometimes, though,
there are physical limitations in the piano to prevent me from using it as
I would like, that is, up and down the entire length of the wire.  Using
the string stretcher isn't a foolproof method, but it does help somewhat.

After that, then sometimes I raise the new music wire a 1/2 step higher and
leave it there while I'm doing other things.  Then when I'm done with
everything, bring it back down to its intended pitch, make the necessary
checks, and tell them to call me when they can't take the out-of-tuneness
in that note anymore.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician