Ribbing

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:47:32 +0100

>My question was.....Do you have any tips for removing ribs from the SB
>before re-ribbing??? I'm searching for an easier way than the last time I
>did it.
>THanks
>Ralph Martin

Ralph,
When I remove ribs from a SB, I take good look at the grain of the wood,
place a 11/2" chisel 1-2 mm from the glue-joint and try to split it
carefully. If it cracks into the wrong direction I try another spot. The
first rib I ever used this method on came of in one blow, the rest of the
ribs of that piano (a small English birdcage) I removed by just using a
hammer and a small log of wood. In most cases there remaines a thin layer of
rib on the SB, this I remove by heating it with hot air (don't scorch the SB
!) and peeling it off with a knife or chisel.
This method works very fast and you leave the SB completely intact.
I hope this answers your question.

Michiel van Loon
mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Meppel