please advise action bracket repair

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:26:07 -0700 (MST)

Hi Tim:

These kinds of breaks usually happen when a piano falls over on its back.

You can remove a good bracket, lay it flat on a piece of plywood, attach
blocks of wood at various places as a caul to properly locate the
bracket so that that there is no side movement. Then remove the good
bracket, vee out the crack location,
and lay in the broken bracket. Most brackets can be tacked with brass
rod. Do not overheat the bracket in the brazing process, just enough to
tack the brackets together. Let cool. Tack again. And again. Watch for
tendency to warp.

If you are not skilled in welding, you can epoxy splints on each side of
the break, then sand smooth at ends of the splints and spray all brackets
with bronze or aluminum if you like.

This is brief. If you need more details write privately.

Jim Coleman, Sr.