clean - don't ream!

Greg Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:25:58 -0600

Jim & list,

I am just posting this mainly to affirm what you and  others have said regarding
varnish & pin blocks. A few months ago I replaced a pin block on a Lyon & Healy
victorian upright. I discovered (by accident, actually) that varnishing the holes
makes for a great "feel".

I say accidentally because I was putting a coat of varnish on the block for
cosmetic reasons and I had to swab all the holes after discovering that the
varnish had dripped down into them. This was all before the thread about swabbing
with varnish. I had never heard about swabbing with varnish before. BTW, I used
"Varathane"  semi-gloss.

When I did the final tuning on this instrument the torque was excellent,
consistent, and the feel was great. Not one jumpy pin. And it looked great too, if
I do say so myself. :-}

Regards,
Greg Torres

JIMRPT wrote: (snipped)