Boston verticals

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:11:23 EST

>List,
>    I'm considering the purchase of a studio vertical to take some wear off
>of the grand.
>Is the Boston vertical a Kawai with closer tolerances or does it have
>Steinway design
>features?  I am impressed with the Samicks (sp?) that I have seen; they seem
>to be a good
>value but I'm concerned about possible non-leather knuckles and manufacturing
>tolerances.
>And  finally, the Young Chang vertical seems to play like a truck.  Any
>comments or
>suggestions?
>    Chuck Bell
>    Associate member

When the Boston was first introduced, the Midwest sales rep gave a talk at our
chapter meeting. He flat out told us that the Boston and Kawai are made on the
same production line, and that the only difference between the two was that
Kawai uses graphite jacks, and the Boston uses wood jacks. I either don't
remember, or I he might not have told us, if Kawai retooled their production
line to match the Boston, (and is being allowed to make Kawai's the same way),
or if Steinway came to Kawai, liked their design, and asked them to make
Bostons. The few times I have played a Boston, I could not hear or feel any
difference with the Kawai.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis