Bosendorfer appraisal

Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:08:04 -0800

Ed,

Nope, I've never seen it. Nor heard of it. As with all used pianos, art deco or Louis XVI,
it's worth exactly what the traffic will bear. I've changed my direction with pianos of
this type over the years, though. Especially with instruments such as this. Regardless of
what you personally may think of the aesthetic design of the piano, since the work was
(presumably) done by Bosendorfer, we can probably assume that it was done quite well. It's
monetary value may well be in its uniqueness and not in it musical value. Well, probably
both. Why don't you visit the Portland Art Museum and talk to the curators there. I've no
idea how much help that will really be, but art museum's are always fun to visit all on
their own. You might also check with Bosendorfer for a bit of history on the piano. It
never hurts to have an official provenance and an up to date history.

Del