Voicing reply

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:20:44 +0000

> From:          "pianoman" <pianoman@inlink.com>
> To:            <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject:       Re: Voicing reply
> Date:          Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:41:53 -0600

This really is a sad story...The pianist is very accomplished
and I met him at a local concert hall when I was tuning for his
concert.  He is very poor...has been playing on a Kimball for
many years...has used the same tuner for the same number of
years.  So he finally makes the plunge and buys a brand new
model A, Mason & Hamlin.  This was actually before Pianodisc
investment so it isn't exactly brand new.  He came to the
concert and was orgasmic about his new piano.  He couldn't stop
raving...I didn't see him for some months until he called and
told me the story of his tuner.  This fellow came in and in no
time was filing hammers and needling.  The pianist told me the
tuner was complaining about how hard the hammers were to file.
Anyway, here I am, the poor sap trying to bring some tone back
into the piano.  I have been trying to talk to Rick Baldasin and
will ask him for ideas.  I will also contact the factory for
advice...

Thanks guys...

> Hello David,
> Why would anyone think he could change the voicing to the better on a fine
> new piano such as this?  Who are these people?
> It seems like that would be like taking a Lexus from the showroom and
> trying to do a tuneup on it.
> James Grebe
> R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
> pianoman@inlink.com
> "I'm on my way towards the mighty light of knowledge".
>
> ----------
> > From: David ilvedson <ilvey@a.crl.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Voicing
> > Date: Friday, February 27, 1998 5:28 AM
> >
> > I have recently taken on a new customer with a new Mason &
> > Hamlin Grand, Model A.  The previous technician has apparently
> > needled the hammers(Renner blue) to death and the tone is very
> > lacking.  Any suggestions as ways to bring them back up.  I have
> > lightly filed and lacquered(6 to 1) but still not much
> > improvement.
> >
> > Thanks in advance...
> >
> > ilvey
> > Pacifica, CA