Voicing reply

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:42:36 +0000

David ilvedson wrote:

> [...]

Something I don't quite understand. Did this technician decide that he
needed to change the tone of the piano, or is this something that the
customer decided to have done?
	There is a tech in the area here who takes it upon himself to make the
decision of voicing (and has upset a few of my new  customers)
	Voicing is very personal. Not every person is going to like the same
sound or tone. I guess thats why some people buy German pianos and
others buy japanese, or korean, or American for that matter. Now there
are more differences than that. I even see two of the same make and
model of the same piano (same color even) on the dealer floor, but they
don't sound even remotely close. But you will get people that will
choose one over the other.
	The only one that really gets me is when a customer calls and says they
want their (just an example) Henry Miller spinet to sound like their
neighbors 7' Bosendorfer. Its hard not to laugh sometimes.
	As far as voicing the Renner Hammers. You're on the right track with
Rick Baldassin. Attended a class at a state convention a few years ago
on voicing the hammers. They definitely don't need much needling. I can
see how easy it would to be to ruin a set of new Renner Blues. I love
the sound though. Great hammers to work with. I have them in my old
steinway upright.
	I guess it comes back to the question that someone asked why would you
want to change the tone of a new M&H. There very nice sounding
instruments even right off the dealer floor. Maybe a note or two that
may need to be toned down. Unless the customer wanted a different sound.
But from what I'm gathering, its a new piano and the tone has been
changed and the customer isn't happy with the new sound, then.......I'm
going to just guess that the tech decided to change it himself.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH