Singing Strut

Ron Berry ronberry@pop.iquest.net
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 15:12:16 +0000

> I'm more than a little sceptical, but who knows. My appointment to see
> this piano is next week. Has anyone ever encountered a 'singing strut'?

I haven't heard one that rang like a leaky damper, but the Kimball
5-2 grands have a very long unsupported capo bar in the treble that
makes a distinct F when you knock on it.  Therefore every note in the
treble has a F along with it.  If the problem is the plate strut, I
can't imagine what you can do about it.  I had talked with Kimball
and they were planning to redesign that area of the grand but then
they stopped making pianos instead.

Ron

Ron Berry, RPT, Indianapolis, IN
ronberry@iquest.net