Titanic's Pianos

Nelson and Tracy Denton ndenton434@bigwave.ca
Sun, 04 Jan 1998 19:47:22

Surprisingly wood does survive well under water. Recovering logs found in
lakes and rivers that are over 100 years old is a  big business nowadays.
Woodworkers pay big bucks for the wood which is often of a better quality
than that found in new growth forests.  The pianos mentioned would have
burst under the stress of the water softening the glues of course combined
with the impact of the ship sinking. But the wood itself probably would
have survived well. Depending on the temperature of the water  wood and
metal can survive for many years. A year ago I was in Tobermory Harbour in
Ontario and I saw the remains of a turn of the century piano that was
aboard a ferry boat that had burn't and sunk  The  iron frames and other
remains of the piano were clearly visable from a glass bottom boat in only
6' of  cold fresh water. the wooden remains of the ship were also in nearly
mint condition.

Two war ships from the war of 1812 between Canada and the U.S. are still
lying on the bottom of Lake Ontario under 300'+- of water and from the
pictures divers have taken, the ships are in perfect condition. The rigging
and sails are still  intact and little deterioration has taken place.

Warm water animals and plants cause the most damage to wood underwater as
wood under water  in warmer climates is eaten by worms, snails  and other
sea creatures.  Salt water will rust metal but not when it is deep down in
the ocean where there is little oxygen. This is why people who skin dive in
the tropics think wood and metal rots underwater- which it does.

>From what I have read about the Titanic the wooden structures of the ships
interior have collapsed due to the impact of the ship hitting the bottom at
30+ miles per hour or so, and the stress of the water pressure forcing it's
way through the ship as it sank.

As a curiosity the pianos would be of some interest  but as a concert
instument they would need some serious overhauling and rebuilding. ;-)))
Nelson E. Denton
R. A. Denton and Son
Pipe Organ Builders
Hamilton Ontario Canada