Crown without soundboards

Sun, 04 Jan 1998 23:09:15 -0800

Anne Beetem wrote:

> >>... Perhaps we can
> >> gain a little more insight from the harpsichord builders who have to
> >> work with much fewer ribs and funny wavey things that go on with the
> >> soundboards.
> >>
> >What are funny wavy things?
> >
> >Stephen
> >

> Boards which look  like waves on the water, Stephen.  Remember we'll
> dealing with 1/8" thick boards with a handful of ribs.    Most common is a
> trough about the bridge, sometimes a swelling between that trough and the
> nut.
>
> Anne
>
> Anne Beetem
> Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
> 2070 Bingham Ct.
> Reston, VA  20191
> abeetem@wizard.net

Anne,

These are not all that uncommon in compression-crowned soundboards. If the bridge is held down by the downforce of the ribs,
it is quite common for the areas on either side of the bridge to bow up. I made a couple of diagrams showing this in one of
my Journal articles a couple of years ago. (No, I don't know what issue -- I'd have to go back through my back issues to find
it and I don't have access to them right now.)

Del