rib Crown

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 20:05:08 -0600 (CST)

>Yes, there is a theoretical advantage to ribs built with a parabolic-crown.
>
>>From a practical standpoint, however, if you could directly substitute
parabolic-crown ribs for constant radius ribs, with
>all other factors being kept exactly the same, it is doubtful that you, or
anyone else could actually tell the difference.

>Del

It's just as well, lacking access to a big plotter, I wasn't coming up with
any reasonable way to produce the proper curve anyway. Oh well, it sounded
kind of sexy for a minute there.

I then take it that people who talk about putting the high point of the rib
crown under the bridge mean that they are tapering constant radius ribs to
shift the center of load toward the bridge (or between the bridges in the
bass). This still sounds like a good idea to me if one can get the right
balance. On the other hand, it seems that the longer, more flexible, section
of the thusly tapered rib would flex more with humidity swings in the panel
and more drastically alter the shape of the crown. Which is the more
important consideration, is the whole approach a waste of time, or am I
looking at entirely bass-ackwards?

OK, another question if you please. Is there any benefit to decreasing the
crown radius (maybe 45' - 50')in the treble?

Sorry to be a pest here, it's just that there isn't an official accessible
source for information of this type. I'd appreciate anything you could tell me.

 Ron Nossaman