Refinishing

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:06:40 -0500

1.  Unless this customer attaches great sentimental value to this piano,
it's not worth the expense to refinish.

2.  A 1925 anything hardly qualifies as a real antique.  An antique in the
strictest sense would date back to the mid 19th century.  Removing the
finish of this piano with stripper could not decrease the value, and is the
only reasonable approach to refinishing.

3. If the finish is from 1925, it could be either shellac or lacquer.  If
the finish is alligatored, it is almost certain that it is shellac.
Rubbing shellac with mineral spirits and steel wool will do little except
remove surface grime.  Sometimes rubbing shellac with alcohol and
cheesecloth can restore an alligatored finish, but unless the furniture is
a true antique it is rarely worth the effort.

4.  If the finish is shellac, the customer could spend as much time as she
wants rubbing with alcohol, raw linseed oil and cheesecloth.  The surface
can be restored a small section at a time, and the customer can supply all
the elbow grease.   Why not test the surface with alcohol, and if it's
shellac, give her this option.  With the money she saves on refinishing,
she can then afford to pay you generously for your tuning services.

Frank Weston