SAT "Ammunition"

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 17:55:31 -0600 (CST)

List,

   I've decided to seriously try and get my *boss* to let me buy an SAT.
What I need is as much ammunition as possible as to ways that it would
benefit the university/School of Music, as well as ways it would help me
to do my job better/quicker/easier. Here are a few things I can think of:

1. We now have 137 pianos, so I'm hoping to use that lack of another tech
   or two to help justify the SAT.
2. 4 S & S D's, 2 of which are tuned VERY frequently and which are
   sometimes used together. I want to put a "master" tuning on all 4 and
   then use that for the retunings. I would think this would be a real
   time-saver.
3. The 5 full-time piano teachers all have two pianos each. Again, frequent
   tunings.
4. The pianos in practice rooms, classrooms and other teachers' studios can

   be tuned quicker, thereby getting more work done in the same amount of
   time. Correct?
5. On the list, I've read about there being less stress and not getting as
   tired using an SAT. Can someone explain this so I can use it with my
   boss?
6. The ability to use stored Historical tunings.
7. A side benefit is that we are now using one of our B's for the tuning
   test piano and I would be able to put the master tuning on it before
   the test. I know, that won't help me convince my boss but I like it. :-)

   Feel free to add to the list and/or to elaborate on any of the above
reasons. I would be particularly interested in having responses from
institutional techs (university, school systems, large churches, etc.)
who are aural tuners and have switched to the ACT, especially in
institutional settings.
   Of course, anyone else is more than welcome to respond also. Thanks for
any suggestions/ideas.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music