Doors Left Unlocked

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 21:46:59 -0500

Zen Reinhardt wrote:

> Hello List!
>
> We've probably discussed this before, but my curiosity is getting the
> better of me again.
>
> How do you handle the customer who tells you they'll be happy to leave the
> door unlocked so that you may come in, do the work, leave the bill, and
> leave the house?  I realize that this is a common practice, so I was
> wondering if any of you have had, shall we say, "unexpected repercussions"
> from such an arrangement?
>
> I for one will never enter a house unaccompanied.  I don't care if the door
> was left wide open.  Having a teenager, neighbor or house sitter/cleaner
> waiting to let me in is "legitimate."  Am I being overly cautious?
>
> Just curious again ...
> ZR!  RPT
> Ann Arbor  MI
> diskladame@provide.net
Zen:
I will enter a house in these circumstances only if I know the customer.
There is one customer whose instrument can only be serviced under these
circumstances. Phil Kaufmann, with whom I studied at Chautauqua NY,
routinely worked this way.
Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net