Newton Re: Refinishing

Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:02:36 -0800

JIMRPT wrote:

> 4. A Brambach is a Brambach and almost anything you can do to it will be an
> improvement casewise, scalewise or actionwise.

I once thought it would be interesting to take a Brambach and redesign it as extensively as possible. Just to see what could
be done. Then I got one and started measuring and thinking. In the end, I gave up. There were just to many areas that
couldn't be "improved" enough to make a decent instrument out of it. Starting with the plate and stringing scale. It was one
of the worst I've ever seen and there was little hope of improving it given the plate design. (And, no, I didn't even think
about making a new plate for the beast.) It's still around, at least most of it is. We'd think about donating it to a good
cause. Otherwise it may end up painted black and mounted on a pole out front -- as in part of our sign. It's all we could
think of to do with the thing.

> 5. Restoration to original condition will be next to impossible due to the
> lack of replacement action parts.
>
>  Stephen I hope something here helps, although I am sure that Newton could,
> and would, have said it better :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Nor would such restoration be desirable under most normal circumstances.

Del