Refinishing

Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:08:47 -0800

Les Smith wrote:

> Hi, Stephen.
>
> It's not often that I am caught at a loss for words, but I have to admit
> that this is one of those times. To put this as diplomatically as I
> possibly can-- and diplomacy isn't really my forte :)--when discussing
> valuable antique pianos the name Brambach rarely comes up. In fact, never.
> However, your customer obviously believes this to be a rare and valuable
> instrument. She also appears to believe that its finish is lacquer. It's
> not. If she wants information on the RESTORATION of original finishes on
> antiques, you might tactfully suggest that she post to the newsgroup
> rec.antiques. There's some fairly knowledgeable people who actually post
> there from time to time.  In order that you don't personally rain on your
> customer's parade, you might suggest that she pay to have someone who
> regularly restores "valuable antique pianos" to come out and appraise
> her instrument before she invests any significant dollars in it. Chances
> are that he won't even come out to look at the instrument, but just give
> her the bad news over the phone. The point here being that the truth
> about her piano is coming from someone else, rather than yourself. I
> don't think that you want to put yourself in a position where you confirm
> her belief that she has a rare and valuable antique that is worth re-
> storing. Adopting such a position could come back to haunt you BIG-TIME!
> The best approaach for you to take will depend upon what you have ALREADY
> told her and lead her to believe about her piano. This is a tricky situa-
> tion. As "Buck" Staghorn says: "Watch where you step"!
>
> Les Smith
> lessmith@buffnet.net
>
> PS I guess I wasn't at a total loss for words afterall! :-)

I wonder, though, if there might not be a market for these in Texas? You know, with a little padding here and there, some
naugahyde (sp?) tuck and roll. Perhaps with a bit of metal flake paint on the plate and strings? We could be looking at $40K
to $50K here.

Now that I've made your day, have a nice one...

Del