SAT "Ammunition"

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 06:33:54 -0500 (EST)

Avery,

> 1. We now have 137 pianos, so I'm hoping to use that lack of another tech
>    or two to help justify the SAT.

..this alone justifies the *investment* in this *tool*..

> 2. 4 S & S D's, 2 of which are tuned VERY frequently and which are
>    sometimes used together. I want to put a "master" tuning on all 4 and
>    then use that for the retunings. I would think this would be a real
>    time-saver.

..it will be..

> 5. On the list, I've read about there being less stress and not getting as
>    tired using an SAT. Can someone explain this so I can use it with my
>    boss?

..speaking for myself, there is less of the *aural fatigue* factor for
me..if you're tuning 4-6 pianos per day, I suspect there is a high fatigue
factor from concentration..to the outsider, it looks like you're not doing a
whole lot, but we all know how much you need to concentrate on hearing if
you are strictly an aural tuner..Avery, in your case, i suspect you're
trying to hear through alot of false beats..that alone must be very
tiring..the SAT will detect these false beats and at times give you a funky
kinda reading, but it's still easier to *see* this than to continually try
to *hear* past it..

..your boss needs to be convinced that this is an investment, even though it
is a tool..there were some numbers listed here a while ago stating that the
SAT's cost per month is somewhere around $8 a month over the life of the
instrument, maybe even less..that works out to be pennies per tuning over
the life of the instrument.... SAT #4( 1st edition ) is STILL in use
today..it belongs to Larry Crabb..one of his employees was using it on
Wednsday to chip a recent re-string..when did the 1st SAT come out?..

..I see nothing but benefit from the SAT..I know the strictly aural tuners
have strong beliefs in their art of tuning, and it is understood here..

..i hope you can convince your boss of all the benefits from this tool..