Appraisal of old Chickering

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 09:34:21 -0800 (PST)

Dear list,

Now that a little actual fun has passed (I said _passed_) beneath the
bridge, does anyone have any real ideas about the value of this gorgeous
remnant of a more generous age? Or will Jerry have to wait for Newton to get
some real help? That might make him late on his estimate.

Susan

At 11:19 PM 1/9/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I recently looked at a piano to appraise it for insurance purposes.  The
>piano is a beautiful, old (1880's) 8'8" Chickering & Sons grand with a
>very ornate case.  The case is in very good condition, but inside there
>are problems.  The action needs rebuilding.  The bridge had previously
>been capped, but it has extensive cracking around the bridge pins, and a
>fair amount of pin movement.  The soundboard has 2 long cracks, but it
>has crown.  The pinblock needs replacing.  The overall sound is good,
>and sustain is good.
>
>I'm reasonably famliar with the value of pianos of more recent vintage,
>but I am at a loss on this one.  Suggestions would be welcome.  I have
>approximately a week before I have to give the appraisal to the
>customer.  Thanks.
>
>Jerry Raz

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Why does it always get later, and never, even once, get earlier?"
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant