HUNT for messages

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:03:33 -0700

At 05:32 PM 1/10/98 -0700, guy wrote:

>hunt (hunt) vt.  [[ME hunten  < OE huntian , prob. < base of hentan , to
>a search   5 Bell Ringing  a series of regularly varying sequences in
>ringing a group of from five to twelve bells  hunt down   1 to pursue until
>Def #5 of "hunt" is kinda interesting..... Wonder who's bell will get rung?

Henry Brusch and I are probably the only two change ringers on the
pianotech list, so maybe it'll be ours?  B-})

BTW, since you found it interesting, to illustrate how that definition of
"hunt" works, here is an example on four bells (despite the definition
starting from 5 bells).

1234
2143
2413
4231
4321
3412
3142
1324
1234

All the bells in this sequence "plain hunt", which means they move in the
sequence from their original position in an orderly fashion, never moving
more than one "place" at a time or staying in on place more than two rows.
If you follow the #1 bell, it starts at the beginning of the row, in the
following rows hunts out to the back of the row and then hunts in to its
home position.  With a simple variation to plain hunt called a "dodge"
where two or more bells exchange places, the number of rows equal to the
factor of the number of bells can be rung. In this case the factor of 4 is
24 (4x3x2x1) so by plain hunting and adding a dodge whenever the #1 bell is
in the #1 position all 24 rows can be produced.

On five bells there are 120 rows, six - 720 and seven 5040. 5040 changes
rung according to the rules set down by the Central Council of Church Bell
Ringers is also called a "peal" and is the standard ringer's "salute".

Aren't you glad you brought it up?  B-})

>>Welcome home, Newton. We've missed you, over and over and over.
>>
>and over and over....

We did indeed! Welcome Home, Newton!

		John

John Musselwhite, RPT  - Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com - http://www.cadvision.com/musselj/