query

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:25:37

Greetings James,
                I am assuming that you are refering to the Baldwin Hamilton
Model 243 Scale 743-4 this scale was used from 1979 to 1987. Since 1987 the
instrument scale was redesigned by Del, and the model No. changed to 243HP,
scale designated 743-5.
           Baldwin 45" Scales are;   724 ------ 60 plain strings  Discon.
                                     611 ------ 60   "      "        "
                                     743-4 ---- 58   "      "        "
                                     743-5 ---- 60   "      "     Current
  The new model has a much improved sound board design, easily reconised by
the fan style of rib construction.  The action is weighted off.  Triple
block dampers in the bass. Wedge dampers up to A3 in the tenor section.
The changes balanced out the scale significantly, improved tuning stability
using 1/2 size wire through out the scale. Bass damper over ring, a first
tenor section whistle, dramatically improved.
  Del is the expert on the new model.
Regards Roger.

At 11:13 AM 1/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi People,
>Does anyone know the year that Baldwin switched from no wound strings at C#
>3 and D3 and 2 notes of wound strings on those same notes?
>Was the model number different on each piano and were there other
>differences also?
>James Grebe
>R.P.T. from St. Louis
>pianoman@inlink.com
>"A diamond is coal that stayed there", give me the patience to stay.

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.