Conover Cable piano

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:21:35 -0500

A lady called me to come check out a piano she had bought from Wal-mart.
If it wasn't satisfactory then she could return it within 7 days.  With
apprehension I agreed to stop by between other tunings and look it over,
informing her that an inspection was all I had time for.  What I found was
a nice-looking black console, the kind with no front legs.  After opening
it I noticed how nicely lined up and spaced the hammers were. The key
sticks were sanded and finished in a clear lacquer.  Everything indicated
that it was a well-built piano and would be a good, functional  piano after
a few tunings.  It hadn't been prepped at all because I had to remove
wooden slats from behind the hammer shanks and thick paper slats from the
hammer rest rail.  I told the lady I was surprisingly impressed with the
piano and recommended she keep it.  She got a good price for it (less that
$1K).  So my next step is to schedule a tuning for her.  It will require a
pitch raise.  The reason I mention this is that there was some discussion
about these pianos a month or so ago.  Just thought I'd let you know what I
found.

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL