Methenol?

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:10:21 -0600

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts wrote:

> BOYINGTONR wrote:
> >
> > I've inquired at several drug stores locally and it seems as tho the feds have
> > put a ban on the sale of methanol.  Have any others had a similar experience.
>
> I would think it more likely that they would ban the sale of absolute ethanol--I know that it is jealously
> guarded in University labs, because it is expensive.

I suspect this ban is another knee-jerk reaction to escalating illegal drug traffic.  Methanol is just another one
of the chemicals that may be used when freebasing cocaine (street name: crack).  I have long ago switched to Jim
Bryant's suggestion of using denatured alcohol from the paint supply.  It seems that anything than can be used to
make an illegal buck rapidly becomes too expensive for the rest of us.

Happy wet-sizing,
Danny Moore
http://www.setexas.com/danmoore/