Methanol? (WHY?)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 00:30:21 -0800 (PST)

Tim Keenan writes about methanol:

> Be aware that it is toxic,
>and absorbed through the skin and lungs, not just by the gut.  It will
damage your liver and your nerves with
>prolonged exposure.  You don't have to drink it to go blind, it just takes
a lot longer by other routes.

Given this information, I tend to be confused as to why so many of us spend
so much time and effort trying to get hold of the stuff. It's all going to be
used indoors, with some skin contact, and the vapors will be in our shops
or living areas. Ethanol as Everclear at 190 proof can do the same jobs with
much less toxicity, and the only argument I hear against it is expense. How
many gallons is everyone planning to use? And how much is your liver worth?
Compare the cost difference with how much health insurance costs, and all it
does is pay your bills when you are already sick.

Sorry about the soapbox, but this has been a pet peeve for quite awhile. By
the way, when I ask at a hardware store for "methanol" or "methyl hydrate" they
sell me "denatured alcohol solvent", which says it's a "shellac thinner,
alcohol appliance fuel, and marine stove fuel." It has denatured alcohol and
not more than 4% methanol in it. It still has beaucoup warnings about the
vapors, both as a health hazard and a fire hazard. It's already a lot better
than pure methanol, but why not use ethanol instead?

Your far too earnest

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"The more I learn about light, the more I think we're all still completely
in the dark."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant