Methanol? (WHY?)(and celebration)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:59:40 -0800 (PST)

Tim Keenan wrote:

>it is clearly disingenuous to compare the toxicity of
>organic solvents to that of common foodstuffs.

Dear Jim <g>

I think you have challenged an organic chemist to a duel
on his home turf.

As for me, I'm not for worrying, either. I'm for getting
it right enough of the time, easily enough, that I don't
have to worry.

You'd think from what I've written about methanol that I'm
opposed to people taking risks. Not a bit! If they enjoy
hang gliding, rock climbing, making nature specials in
spectacularly dangerous and uncomfortable (if beautiful)
places, I'll cheer them on every step of the way. I'm not
built that way myself, but I consider they enhance life for
all of us.

What I despise is for people to get hurt through risks taken
for trivial reasons, or just through habit or ignorance.

Methanol in the gas tank? Fine, especially if you know that
you should keep it off your hands, and pour it into the gas
tank outside, rather than in the garage.

Methanol in action centers, or mixed with shellac and painted
on indoors? WHY? Denatured alcohol solvent will do it fine.

Inspired by these posts, I just went and renewed my supply of
grain alcohol, at my friendly local liquor store (town of 3500.)
750 ml of Everclear, 190 proof (95% ethanol, free of contaminants),
for $14.35. The last bottle lasted me three years, even though
I used it several times for herbal tinctures as well as treating
action centers, and once I removed a little shellac with it. That's
$4.91 a year, for those who don't want to reach for their
calculators, with no effort at all to find the best price. For
that level of cost, it's not worth the time and effort to shop for
a bargain.

But, you say, I only use a bit of it, and you use heaps? Doesn't
change the argument. If you use a tad, there's no reason to buy
methanol, since the cost of ethanol will be trivial. If you use
enough to fill a swimming pool, it is even more important not to
use methanol, because that amount could _really_ get you sick.
At that point, time to be sure you have a _really_ good ventilation
system, and look for bargains, buying denatured alcohol solvent
in bulk.

There is one very good reason I can see for choosing denatured
alcohol over Everclear: if you have a drinking problem, and
want to keep potables out of the house. Now, _there's_ common
sense! If you've fought and beaten this inborn metabolic
craving, you have my sympathy and respect.

Now that I have ventilated, as well, time for my celebration:
Exactly one year ago today I subscribed to pianotech for the
first time. What a year!!!!! Thanks, all of you, thanks for
being there, and for being yourselves. Just to put the cherry
on top of the sundae, Newton gets home today.

While at the liquor store I acquired a bottle of triple sec
to observe the occasion. Beats your old wood alky all hollow!

Best regards, as always,

Susan

P.S. Celebrating the anniversary with a double signature line.

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"If I were determined to commit suicide, I would first try to do it with
chocolate."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant

"If life really is just an illusion, please convey my compliments to the
illusionist."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant