Restringing

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:57:58 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: John DeLuca <JohnnyPiano@worldnet.att.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Thursday, January 15, 1998 5:29 PM
Subject: Restringing

>I'm restringing my first Baby Grand. Is there any tips on the order of
>putting on the new strings? I don't want to damage the frame by putting
>uneven tension on it.

I just finished my second this week.  Of course, put the treble strings on
first or else you'll have a hell of a time putting them on under the bass
strings!

Get stringing gloves.  I use "film handling gloves."  They are a cloth glove
that keeps the oils from your skin off of the strings and wire.  You are
going to be handling the strings a lot!  Put a bandaid on your left thumb
(assuming you're right handed) so when you wrap the wire you won't wear out
your thumb!

I start from the lowest wire and work up, then the bass strings last.
You're tackling the hardest first this way.

Very important:  support the pinblock with a jack.  Scissor type car jacks
work fine.  Don't forget to move it along.  DON'T FORGET TO MOVE IT ALONG,
oh and don't forget -- you get the idea!

I used a little saying before banging the SECOND pin into the pinblock:
"hitchpin, path, agraff."  What that meant to me was to check that I was in
fact on the correct hitch pin and the strings path was good (under plate and
bearing points, etc.)  then I would double check I was through the agraff.
I forbid myself from TOUCHING the second tuning pin unless I was through the
agraff.  Even with this I nearly forgot the agraff THREE TIMES!

Count out the unisons of each wire size you'll need.  Multiply that by
three.  Count out that many tuning pins from the box and place them within
reach.  When you are out, you'll know to change wire size.

Precut strings make the job go easier.  It seems easier than wrestling the
coil around.  You waste a little more string this way but you'll save tons
of time.  You can measure the "next" string then put on the first string.
Then continue on down, making them just a little shorter each time.  You'll
get to know how much shorter as you progress.

The books tell you to do 2.5 wraps (wire) but I do 2.25 wraps on the first
pin then 2.5 on the second.  For me this helps even out the coils.  You see
since the first string has no tension on it, it is harder to get a nice
tight coil.  The string on the way back has the other pin for tension so
you'll end up with a tighter coil.  I suppose if you make both coils tight
you can just do the two and a half coils on both but this will tire you out
quick!!!

The four finger method for cutting the wire works great.  I look straight
down and cover the hole (front of hole) with my index finger (near the tip)
and cut flush with the pinky (again, near the end).  This might seem too
short but believe me, there is a BUNCH of slack out there!  You'll have
three beautiful coils before you know it!!

Try not to bang the pins down too far.  If you do you can pull out the wire
and turn them up a turn but just try to get it right the first time!  There
will be a tendency to leave the bass pins high.  This is because the wire is
thicker.  Don't look at the "bottom of coil to plate" distance.  Focus on
the "hole in tuning pin to plate" distance.  Some of the more experienced
folks may have a better system for this (jump in anytime!).

I saw a thread on this list about swabbing the holes with spar varnish for a
better feel when tuning.  I tried this and I didn't notice a difference.
Maybe it was because I used Q-tips!  If you try this, DON'T USE Q-TIPS!

Don't worry about uneven tension.  Just get the stings on and put some
tension on them so they aren't "flopping" around (no where near pitch!).
When you are done just follow the chipping process, then tune several times
and finally leave it about 10 cents sharp.

It is not that difficult but it is tedious!  I did the first one over a week
period and the second one in three visits.  You will be graded on your coils
and on your pin height!

Good luck!  It is very satisfying when you are done!

Glenn.