Methanol...gently submitted

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:35:45 EST

Susan;
 I am including some, admittedly self serving, quotes from my posts vis a vis
Methanol. I would also like to point out that I have never said to use
methanol, I have said that Methanol will work in the application discussed.
(Well in a private post I suggested using Methanol simply because it was the
method  I chose to get the point across that a pure alcohol was desired.)

 "Alcohol in any form if abused is toxic,"

"One should not be using any liquid that is volital in an enclosed - non
ventilated space period."

"If we don't use all of our chemicals with some discretion we will get into
trouble eventually."

"So I suppose what I am saying is use what works best for you, realizing that
all chemicals are toxic and should not be misused/abused.  Use these chemicals
in well ventilated spaces and only as much as is needed, and dispose of
residues properly."

"Methanol highly toxic? of course........"

"you should use what works for you and use it in a responsible fashion."

"Treat all chemicals with respect and there should never be a problem, misuse
or abuse even the most benign chemicals and there will be a problem."

 As for the foodstuffs....hit a hot button huh ?  :-) [("during a few periods
of my chequered life"), tell us more inquiring minds  :-)   ...]

Again Susan let me point out the definition of Toxic as contained in AH
dictionary, i.e. #2. Capable of causing injury or death, especially by
chemical means; poisonous: food preservatives that are toxic in concentrated
amounts.
abusing Beta Carotenes will kill you.
abusing Milk will kill you.
abusing Acetic Acid (tomatoes) will kill you.
  Remember we are talking toxic and not the level of toxicity.
Just Plain Stupid Jim.
Jim Bryant (FL)
"I may be slow but I'm dumb"
Anon.