case parts and a pin #2

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:23:25 EST

Someone  wrote:

<<Remove the pin from above and below.  Take a long
reech 1 mm drill, use a guide to centre in the t.pin hole, drill right
thiugh the block and out at the back.  Do the same to the bottom pin
hole measure the distance between the centre of the top pin to the
centre of the middle pin hole, then same from bottom to middle, go to
the back of the piano and draw a straight line from the two 1 mmm holes
ahd then measure the distance mark with a punch then drill a 4 mm hole
until you hit the back of the pin get a rod of 3.5 mm of steel insert it
in the back and bang away until the pin pops out >>

I personally don't see a chance in 100 of this working with an upright.

Perhaps it could in a grand, where one only has to drill 1/4 " or so to the
bottom of the pin, but to go through several inches of pinblock to the tip of
the pin, exact enough to work, is almost impossible. I have done this sort of
thing in non-piano applications, and even with milling machines and jigs,
micrometers, etc, it is extremely difficult not to go astray with the drill.

On the other hand, I could see it working if one drilled totally through the
centerline of the tuning pin and out the back of the piano with perhaps a
1/16" diameter 7" long drill, and then used the drill track to guide larger
and larger drills from the backof the piano to the base of the of the pin.
THAT might have a chance of working.

Bill Simon
Phoenix