Bandwidth Alert

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:33:46 -0800

Keith,

At 05:44 PM 1/16/98 -0600, you wrote:

>FYI: Usually, anyone who speaks up about this type of matter usually takes
>at least one flaming hit.  So if it does happen, you'll know you're not
>alone, nor the only person who might seem like a grouch.  :-)

Now, surely you realize that some of us (like Oscar) like to live
in a trashcan...

Yes, yes, I'll stop calling you "surely".

But seriously, though, folks - for those of us who get most of our
email at some institution, bandwidth may not seem too important.
If, however, you are dependent on a not-quite-up-to-date ISP, and
are crawling along at 14.4 (or whatever), unexpurgated email
can truly be quite a burden.  I am reminded of this whenever I have
to travel (not much, anymore, thankfully), and have to login to our
networks remotely.  Even with a fairly advanced access system,
things just come screeching to a (virtual) halt (by comparison).

A suggestion I try to follow, when not suffering from yet another
recurring bout of verbarriah, is to snip out the parts to which
I am _not_ responding, and inserting my replies between.  Progams
such as Eudora automatically add carots (the ">"), or some other
identifier.

Hope everyone had a safe, sane first.  Welcome to '98!

Best.

Horace

P.S. - I just realized that for those who did not grow up watching
Sesame Street with their kids, the reference to "Oscar the Grouch"
may not work.  Well, personally, I always preferred the Count.
(No, I won't...)

hg

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer