Buzzing Acrosonic

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:24:56 -0600 (CST)

Hi Mike,

If she cleans the top of the piano off for you before you arrive, that's
where to look first. Next time, call just before going out to verify that
the buzz is still there and make her SWEAR not to touch ANYTHING until you
get there.

If that's not it, thump on case parts and listen. Check the long fallboard
hinge pin, pedal rod bushings, etc. You know the drill. Also, fist-thump the
floor and the wall behind the piano. I once found a buzz in the bathroom
heating duct in the wall behind the piano. Went down in the basement and
wedged a piece of cardboard between the duct and joist to save the day. I
wouldn't have a REAL job for anything. Wanna buy a duct?

Ron

At 12:51 AM 1/17/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>				I have a customer with a 2 year old Baldwin Acrosonic. Not a bad
>piano from what I've seen of it (which is more than I would have liked
>to have seen) The customer calls me every month or two complaining
>about a something-or-other noise that never stays on the same note,
>nor does it stay long enough for me to get there (and I have made next
>day special visits to try to catch it.)
>			She describes the noise as kind of a buzz that is in the back of
>note. I have spent literally hours with us sitting at the piano. It
>has never done it when I've been there.
>			I have checked every possible thing that I can think of, can't seem
>to find a buzz or a problem. Ive checked bridges, board, ribs,
>strings, case parts, installed a few screws on the key cover hinge
>that were never installed (14 to be exact.), oh and I've also checked
>for items near the piano that could be excited by certain frequencies.
>Nothing.
>			Piano is in good tune. It isn't a voicing problem. No action noise.
>I have just about exhausted my efforts. I am beginning to wonder if it
>isn't the piano at all.
>			If anyone has had any similar experiences or some advise on things
>to look for in the piano or the piano owner, it would all be a big
>help. Frankly, I'm losing money on this one, and also my mind.
>
>			Thanks in advance!
>
>Mike Masters
>Masters Piano Service
>Lakewood, OH