damper flange cords

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:49:25 -0500

Hi List,

Since moving to Florida from New York 9 years ago, I have noted several
cases of torn hammer flange cords in Yamaha uprights ( Young Chang as
well). I have always assumed that our humid weather here is the culprit.
With that in mind, I wrote to Yamaha 4 times and suggested the use of
polyester cord, but to no avail. They never responded to any of my letters.
Now I know that replacing these flanges, or the cords as some techs do, is
a source of revenue, but it does make for unhappy Yamaha owners to be faced
with this repair after about 10-13 years of ownership.

Have any of you techs been faced with this? Do you agree that this problem
is more prevalent in humid areas? Any thoughts?

Howard S. Rosen, RPT
Boynton Beach, Florida