Broken ankle

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:18:41 +0000

Patrick,

I broke my leg last year while ice skating.  (The doctor's comment
was, 'I gave that up years ago'.) I had a walking cast and used a
cane so I didn't have to have crutches.  I was able to work but I did
get tired out very easily.  It's amazing how much difference it makes
to walk from farther away in the parking lot.

My customers had no problem with me, even the new ones.  They were
all just concerned with how I had done it.  You have a good story.  I
was able to stand OK and thank God we don't have cars with manual
transmissions any more.

Just give yourself extra time for getting around and carrying your
tools.  Since you have crutches you might want to rig up a back back.

Best of luck,

Ron

> After the doctors informed me that I had a fractured ankle, and gave a
> temorary cast, they told me to get in bed for the next 10 days, and keep
> that leg elevated. Next week I'll either get a big plaster cast for 6 or
> more weeks, or, if I'm lucky. a high tech plastic boot for the same period
> of time.
> What's the list's experience with this scenario? Hopefully I'll be tuning
> consoles and spinets next week, but pulling a grand or upright action may
> be a bit of a challenge, especially if it's in front of new customers.
> I think *I'd* be a bit dubious about any service technician standing at my
> door with crutches under his arms, especially if he hadn't worked for me
> before.
> Ant words of wisdom out there?
> Patrick Draine, RPT
> (time to get back on the couch, and point my foot at the ceiling)
> draine@tiac.net

Ron Berry, RPT, Indianapolis, IN
ronberry@iquest.net
The Piano Page has a new home at: