Mason and Hamlin style 5

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 20:03:50 -0600

I have had a M&H screw stringer for 25 years.  I actually tuned it about
5 years ago!  It was made in 1887 and is original except for the
hammers.  You can't believe how well it stays in tune.  It is right next
to my grand that is kept at 440, and the M&H is right on.  Part of that
stability, I'm sure, is due to the fact that the sounding board has lost
all ability to move and change the tension on the strings.  The bass
strings are a little dead but the bass sound is still big.  Yes, you do
need to tune it from the flat side.  It is a *&^#$*& to tune!!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University