Saddest O of the Week

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 18 Jan 98 13:24:14 -0500

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, A440A wrote:

>     Kyle Gann, the reviewer who writes in the "Voice" is sold on
>temperaments, and he, like myself, sees a coming revolution in
>tuning.  We, as tuners, need to be the agents of this change.

I agree, and am very excited by this.  A few weeks ago, a customer of
mine was nearly in tears as she described for me her interest in learning
about non-equal tunings and her feeling that there was nowhere she could
go to learn this subject.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here.  Piano technicians should represent
themselves as the experts in tuning;  we need to claim this area as our
own;  if we don't, others will.

I recently downloaded some files off the net that demonstrate non-equal
tunings on common, standard GS synthesizers.  We could use such files and
synths to demonstrate various tunings in classroom situations, changing
tunings at the literal punch of a button with no lengthy piano or
harpsichord retuning necessary.

Les Smith wrote:
>Sorry, Ed, I gotta disagree, There's a revolution in the making all right,
>but it's not in tuning. The acoustic piano has been dying a slow, steady,
>agonizing death for a long time now. The process is irreversible. The old,
>great pianos were silenced long ago. Those that remain today will inevi-
>tably follow in their wake. It's not a matter of "IF", it's only a matter
>of "When". Instead of wasting their time studying archaic temperaments,
>techs today would be well-advised to start taking courses in electronics
>so that they will be able to adapt to servicing not the instruments of the
>future, but the ones that are already here, and to whom the future unmis-
>takably belongs.

You know, when I first started tuning pianos, I remember the old guys
saying that when _they_ were first starting, the old(er) guys told _them_
that there was no future in pianos.

I won't argue with you except to say this:

I once had the honor of meeting Aaron Copland.  During a conversation, he
was challenged by a young composer who suggested that it was impossible
to get a performance of a new composition unless you were a composer
associated with a university.

Copland shrugged and said, "Oh, you paint such a negative picture!"

To what end do we paint such a negative picture?  We live in such a
negative world;  perhaps we can imagine a better one, but if we dwell on
the bad things, we may miss the good things.

Kent Swafford