Why Classical ??

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:45:05 EST

List;
  Just some musings on the topic of "classical" music and why it is important
to Piano Techs.

Classical Music-
3. Abbr. class. Music.
a. Of or relating to European music during the latter half of the 18th and the
early 19th centuries: a classical work by Mozart. b. Of or relating to music
in the educated European tradition, such as symphony and opera, as opposed to
popular or folk music.

  Various of our "classics" were written by commission of patrons for certain
occasions and were performed at those occasions, for the most part, although
there are some very notable exceptions. (but that's a different story)
Examples were the consecrating of a new Cathedral Patroned by the pope, the
dedication of a new Palace patroned by the Queen, the coronation of a King
patroned by the archbishop. etc. etc.  As such this music was meant to
celebrate specific events and some of it became so well loved that it is now
in the staple inventory that we know as "classical music".  By no means was
all of the music that we regard as "classical" written for patrons but a huge
amount of it was.  A much more well known portion of "classical music" was
underwritten by Benefactors and Performance Venues as the acceptance of this
"classical" form grew.  There even is a large selection of "classical" music
that was written by the author for no other reason than they "had" to write it
for some reason or other, i.e. artistic self expression, to pay bills due, to
return a favor, etc. etc. and some of this selection forms the best loved
melodies and performances of our "classical repetoire"..
  Why should we care, as piano techs, what music is going to be played on our
pianos as long as the thing works OK and the thing sounds OK ?   Because due
to the demands placed on a piano by lo those many many selections of
"classical" music !  If our work can meet the challenge of playing this type
score than it will meet any type score.  As for sounds from the thing..... if
we can get the thing to sound as the author has written the expressions within
the manuscript without losing projection, power, and clarity, we can do any
thing with any other score for any other type of music.
  I suppose that what I am saying is that "classical music" is a standard by
which we can measure our ability and performance.  When our work allows a
performer to play pieces without thought to the instrument, and without making
allowances for it, rather to concentrate on getting from their heart, mind,
and hands what is desired...then we have succeeded.  This happens seldom
enough that when it does we all know it and revel in the accomplishment.
  Classical music was never the "music of the masses" and never will be.
"Classical music" has always been supported by means other than the demand for
the music itself...and probably always will be.  Brother Heatons protestations
to the contrary, the sources he cites are mostly government entities or
subsidized heavily by the Government of Britan or some European country.  So
it is in this country as well.  Symphonies have been in trouble, since the
very beginings of symphonies, because they do not perform "popular music"
rather perform "classical selections".
  We can decry the state of "classical music" all we want but until it is
demanded by the public as what they want to hear rather than as what they feel
they 'ought to' want to hear, it will remain right where it is and has always
been.
  Indivduals such as Ed, Stephen, Anne, John, etc. etc. will keep the interest
alive, if not robust, and we shall all be the better for it.
Just some thoughts
Jim Bryant (FL)