Saddest O of the Week

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 01:49:02 -0600

Les and list,
As usual, you so eloquently said what I have attempted to say several times.  Each
time I was met, as you were, with protests, disagreement and the belief that this
type of remark is "spreading negativity."

I see no negativity in your post.  I do see, however, a stark reality that we should
take out of the closet and examine.  I doubt that any of us are young enough to be
concerned about our income.  There will always be acoustic pianos, especially the
high quality instruments.  There will be enough people in our age group (and older)
to provide us a living.  The reality is, there are dramatically fewer acoustic
pianos manufactured today than 20 years ago.  That number is decreasing annually.  I
can't put my hands on the exact figures, but it's not new news.

Likewise, there will always be classical music.  It will just be listened to more
selectively.  People are no longer buying the idea that "classical" music is "good"
because it's classical.  What is classical music anyway?  Isn't it simply the "top
chart hits of 1726?"  I suggest to you that Bach will still be getting "airplay" in
another hundred years and so will John Lennin.  In the information society, where
music performance is so easily captured and distributed, the artists will continue
to create and distribute but the consumer has many, many more choices to choose
from.  Great music will live, good music will come and go, the rest - well, the
artists still had the opportunity to make their creative statement.

The piano is simply one tool in the composer's tool kit.  While most of us are here
because we have a strange attraction to the beast, the majority of musicians see it
as simply a tool.  There are now so many more tools in that tool box, the acoustic
piano no longer holds it's mystique.  Let's each of us look at our customer base.
Are most of our customer's kids taking lessons or are they adults?  A personal
example:  in 1960, there were at least 6 kids in my 10-year-old Sunday School
department that could pick up a hymnal and play for the department on Sunday
morning.  I'm still a member of the same church, I maintain their 32 pianos,
including an SD-6 concert grand, and there aren't even enough people to play for
each department on Sunday morning.  Unfortunately that's not a problem, because most
of the members would rather sing to pre-recorded tracks anyway.  Another church I
used to tune for GAVE me their last acoustic piano for hauling it off.  This is not
some poor little small church, but a church with over 2500 families on the rolls,
and lots of money.  Enough money, in fact, to put electronic keyboard's everywhere
they needed a piano.

As for historical temperaments, most electronic keyboards have alternate tunings
built in, as well as the opportunity to enter user-defined tuning data.  Historical
temperaments are wonderful to explore, but certainly not at the cost of re-tuning
the piano for every piece of music.  With electronics however, all music students
can be exposed to the alternate tunings.

Perhaps Les, the statement that the beast is "dying a slow, steady, agonizing death"
is a little harsh.  To a person who has the love and devotion to the instrument that
you do, it certainly seems that way.  Perhaps it may be more reasonable to say that
the acoustic piano has lost the grandeur and mystique it once had and it has reached
its maturity.  Perhaps that's for the best.  At least every furniture store in town
isn't pushing Betsy Ross spinets and naugahyde Wurlitzers.

And yes, I work on electronic keyboards and sound systems.

Danny Moore
http://www.setexas.com/danmoore/