Historical Temperaments and US

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:40:18 +0000

Hello List,
     ED FOOTES' ARTICLE IS GREAT AND SO IS THE RECORDING!!!  Since
musicians are often unaware of the potential of temperaments,
technicians have an opportunity to educate them.  We can make a real
contribution to music! BE MORE than just SLAVES of musicians! BE
CONSULTANTS, guiding musicians through the complicated task of selecting
musical temperaments! This requires additional skill(s) but means higher
status and pay!- perhaps faculty positions instead of staff!  I think it
is time musicians understand how much there is to this profession and
how much we have to contribute!  We are all worth more than our
typically crummy staff positions! Anyone who has ever tried to tune a
piano knows this.
      Concerning equal temperament, I think it's rather boring.  I am
thankful for diversity in people. We don't all look alike, sound alike,
think alike, or like the same things.  Music also becomes much more
interesting and expressive when each interval and harmony has its' own
character and beat speed(s). Classical music can be improved which would
increase its' marketability with the public.

-Mike Jorgensen RPT